Tuesday 1 December 2020

Heroes of the Imperium and Anarchists

Greetings, welcome to another thrilling edition of Jason paints stuff. This episode; Appointment with Terror.* Some of these models have been knocking around for many yonks and a couple were converted 2 weeks ago giving them a ridiculous turn around for me. As usual some are largely useless in wargaming terms but fun all the same and may possibly be seen as bystanders in other posts. Most of these models were completed with the aid of contrast paints, and minimal effort on my part, others had a bit more time wasted on them.

The Krablokistan 47th's Regimental Standard Bearer

As my Astra Militarum army has been getting some non codex additions (dismemberers, bounty hunters)I thought they might as well get something fun that actually is in the book. Hence the regimental standard. Out came the Dremel© (well cheap Dremel knock off anyway) and a metal Catachan sergeant was butchered. The bits box was plundered and various trophys were added along with some brass rods. So the banner has it's own central image depicting the regiments nickname and most famous victory, the burning of the heathen xenos mountains of peace and tranquility and religious home of the Q'Bork race (now extinct). Other items of note are a Biel Tan banner, T'au banner from the Pur'La sept,, Tarrelian warleader's head dipped in vinegar and mounted at the crosspiece and the (so far) crowning glory ; High priestess mask of the heretic death cult of Eros XV. The current banner bearer - sergeant Busta 'squint' Trabble will attempt to be at the forefront of any large scale engagements for the 47th'

Buster 'squint' Trabble posing for a publicity shot.



Reporter And Secret(?) Agent

Next up are some sculpts by Mark Copplestone that I got from Moonraker miniatures who now seem to have moved to Forlorn Hope Games. These are old models but simple and characterful. Mainly done with normal paints they sat in the figure case for ages until the final push to get them over the line. The female reporter on the right was bought for a 'news crew gets in the way on the battlefield' type Rogue Trader game while the John Major look-a-like looks like a spy, accountant, politician or hopelessly lost time traveler who can get toes wet in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

Colony 87 Spiv

Next is another offering from the Colony 87 collection, available from Crooked Dice games design studio. A tech trader who probably has to keep loking over his shoulder for vengeful AdMech trading standards officials. A nice model that has bystander written all over it.

Drok Henkman is his nom de plume.


Old School Avatar

Back in the good old days the craftworld Avatar was only slightly taller than your average Exarch. Now that has all changed (and probably will again too). This was the original sized Avatar of Khaine and never saw the table as such. I will now probably use him as an Autarch with a pituitary gland problem or a sophisticated armour suit of bigness. He will also more than likely act as an Autarch of Ynnead and dodge the -1 to hit on his glaive by being a follower of the dead god.  I have decided to commit to the Ynnead path by painting the rune on his cloak.

I am, or was, the Avatar of Khaine, now I'm just a bit tall.

Check out his tramp stamp!

The Assembly of D'Keddes Get Reinforced

A while back I cut heads off two Skaven poison wind globadiers and an Empire Light Acolyte, I had originally intended to make mutants for Inquisimunda but never got finished.Two weeks ago, I was looking around in my loft and found them again. Some greenstuff and genestealer hybrid appendages and SHAZAM! more genestealer hybrids. Some additional tubes from created with my tentacle maker and I was happy they were done. The two at the front are armed with various saboteur type equipment and the one at the bak wear's a Scream type mask to provide anonymity, he is probably a chargehand type cog in the revolution armed with a sword** and  a hand flamer. He was originally meant to be a sword armed Redemptionist ganger but as I haven't played Necromunda in a while*** the project stalled. So that is the life story of these three amigos, hopefully they will make it in to some anti-establishment type scenarios where they help to over throw the Imperium.

From left to right Shades-Worm-Wrangler, Screamer and Deenamitey

I was going to turn Screamer around but it's not his best side.


First of my genestealer cult minor personalities is Comrade Tootler, a converted Clamavus. About 3 years ago I started building this guy. I saw the Acolyte Iconward and thought I could make one. His banner would have deep significance as it carries the head of the Governor's favourite charger. Grim I know, just the sort of unpleasant shit genestealer cults get up to. In the intervening time between concept and realising said concept, I obtained an Iconward. Not willing to scrap 10 minutes of chopping up an old plastic warhorse head, I repurposed him into a Clamavus. Four fantasy trumpets were then attached to various orifices in the horses head and a lot of transmitting and amplifying stuff hidden under the rotting skull of the horse (whom I will posthumously name Dobbin) to make it viable fluffwise. The backpack of a Neophyte heavy stubber give him his wireless mixing table of sorts. The rather frivolous name was given to him by Stuart on his first outing and has kind of stuck as it's easier to say Tootler than Clamavus and I'm too lazy to come up with anything better.
   
I keep getting a middle eastern trumpet type sound in my head when I think revolutionary battle commences around this guy.

The side profile. I had to glue a uk 2 pence piece to the base as Tootler has an annoying habt of falling over in battle, probably intoxicated.

Next is my Locus model, this time the officially licensed one, not a cheaper kitbash. Lovely model and in his first outing made short work of a Biel Tan Farseer. Said Farseer's head lies saucily at his feet. I was very impressed with his choppy choppy skillz and hope that he's just as good in 9th edition 40k.
 
Brooding for the Brood!

I do really like the scars on his head, causes by a bit of horseplay in the communal baths with a frisky purestrain, no doubt. I suppose a name is needed so further more Comrade Scofflaw, Locus-That-Slays-The-Unwary is his title.

One of my favourite online forums Yaktribe Community; have regular painting and modelling competitions that I occasionally enter and generally miss the deadline so never actually make an impression. This Vindicare/Sanctus mash up was one such entry. The entry was for an underhive assassin and as I needed a decent Sanctus model I beheaded a Vindicare and replaced the head and arm with the a spare Locus head - with added hood and a Hybrid arm holding a skull. A metal genestealer familiar was added to give support when need. I had originally wanted the familiar and Sanctus holding hands/claws but the deadline - and my own piss poor time management skills prevented that. I also painted a red right hand on him as I was listening to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds when working on it. I did not forget to paint pupils in both the Sanctus and Locus, I just thought it gave them a more alien look as both of them have very starey jobs and could have developed alien cataracts at this stage.

As today is the Sanctus' official name day he shall henceforth be known as Comrade Kavenick, his familiar is Evilseed.

Side profile of the dynamic duo.

So that's all I have for you this week. My cult get a lot of middle management types who attend meetings that the Patriarch and Primus cant be bothered to and make long action lists and pass motions that are never ratified by the senior committee members. No wonder they are so full of rage on the battlefield!
 
 *Named after a visit to the dentist.
** Not really a weapon of the proletariat but need must etc..
*** Also I think, Redemptionists are really a thing anymore.


Thanks for reading.

No comments: