Friday 23 December 2022

The Athel Loren Air Corp

 Another gaggle of ever-so-nearly finished models that have sat around the place since late summer are my Wood Elf air cavalry, fun models that always promise much but regularly fail to deliver. All the below models are currently rider less due to me not prioritising the jockeys and also me having several dozen projects all simmering away jostling for attention. Anyway here come the birds;

Great Eagles

Anyone who has read many of my Wood Elf battle reports may remember  some black undercoated eagles that selflessly threw themselves into the paths of enemy death star units to provide a futile speedbump that angled said enemy away from a more valuable (in elf eyes) targets. The battlefields of Athel Loren and beyond are, (were, and hopefully will be again) littered with Great Eagle carcasses, that in many occasions proved to be a futile sacrifice. Anyway, I have finally got another two done.


I googled eagles and found there was a species called a harpy eagle that had black white and grey plumage. I thusly ripped it off, but nature doesn't have copyright lawyers so I'm probably getting away with it.

A more traditional colour scheme for this one. Both were done with contrast paints but I may try to pick out some highlights to give it a less shiny look.


Warhawks

Many years ago I bought some warhawks to give me some options in the skies. They got undercoated and spent many battles not looking the part. This is now 50% remedied and I'm sure by 2025 I will have the riders done too. It is quite strange that I have painted them up as the last two battles they were splatted into oblivion by Chaos Warriors and Plague Censer Bearers respectively. Despite that I am eagerly awaiting the day that my warhawks will not only do well, but they will actually save the day!

Warhawks live in the pine crags so they get stony bases. The one on the left looks like his (or her) mother may have had an illicit affair with a giant horny parrot.





A bird's eye view of the birds.


So that's all folks. Hopefully in the new year the Warhawks will get the pleasure of having Wood Elf bums perched on top of them, it's definitely something to look forward to, n'est pas? As I think it's highly unlikely I'll get any more hobbying done, merry Christmas and a happy new year, and thanks for reading.

No comments: